Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Many Things To Do On a Hot Hot Day

Today I started off my naming fruits and vegetables. I named watermelon, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, pumpkin, strawberry, zucchini, corn, and peppers. Next, I read the BOB Book number 4, Mac by myself. I didn't do too bad. I only messed up on a few of the words. Then I read the other three BOB Books; Dot, Sam, and Mat.
When it was time to practice writing, I got a surprise. Today I got to practice writing only words for the first time. It was fun writing words and not just letters. Two of the words were actually names of people. The first word was Eiffel as in Gustave Eiffel. He was an engineer who designed the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France and the Statue of Liberty in New York.
The next words were Galileo Galilei. He live over 500 years ago. He was a very important mathematician and scientist.
Midway through the morning I went to the library to return books and pick-up some more books. I also checked out a DVD. I had to go to the library as soon as it opened because it is very hot today. When it gets to be over 92 degrees outside the library closes early because the building is very old and does not have air conditioning.
Then I did some math work. I practiced the numbers 20 - 30 and completed some addition equations. I really like adding numbers together to make bigger numbers.
Next I completed a visual assessment. I named the letters of the alphabet from flashcards. They were all backwards, but I got every letter correct. Then I named the numbers 1-50 in a shuffled deck of flashcards. This was a hard one because the numbers were out of order. I identified 30 out of the 50 correctly the first time and when I went back through the 20 numbers I got wrong I identified 8 correctly. 
Finally, before going out to the garden we read the book "I Have a Garden" by Bob Barner. This book was about a dog who had a flower garden with lots of other animals living in it.
The garden looks beautiful today. It is very green and everything is growing tall. We saw the rabbit again in the garden. First the rabbit was around the carrots and beets, then it hopped to the tomatoes before going to the neighbor's yard.
Another big bag of books to return to the library.
Off with another big bag of books checked out from the library.
Click on the arrow to watch me write words and sing a song!
Here I am practicing how to write words. 
Now it's time for math.
Click on the arrow to watch me connect the dots to make a Jack-n-the-Box.
Today we read, "I Have a Garden" by Bob Barner.
I dictated a summary of what we read and then I drew a picture.
The picture is of the dog in his garden on a sunny day.
Here is the front of the garden.
Here is the back of the garden. Look how tall the corn has grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment